Riddari Cardigan

I decided to follow along and join the Kammebornia and Järbo knit along for the Riddari Sweater. The pattern was offered for free during the knit-along and I used the English version of the pattern. You can buy it on ravelry or from jarbo.se.

I knit loose. I always seem to do. So I decided to knit in size XS/S. It is a men’s pattern so I figured a size XS with my loose knitting would end up being a size S when finished. And it did (maybe even  a size M?).

I used four colours.

Red Garnet Heather (1409)

Ash Heather (56)

White

Black heather ( 5)

I cast on for size S, to make room for my hips. I then increased and created a waist shaping (ever so lightly). I aimed for being at the number of stitches for XS by the time I got to the armpits. Then I knitted the yoke in size XS. I knitted the sleeves in size XS as well.

I love this cardigan and it has really served me well during this cold winter!

Vintersol Sweater

This beautiful sweater caught my eyes immediately. Jennifer Steinglass’s designs are beautiful and had intrigued me for quite a while when she released this new pattern called Vintersol.

 

Vintersol close up

Yarn
For this sweater I wanted to try the Icelandic yarn Lettlopi. I had heard so much about it that this time I really wanted to try it. Garnr.se has a great selection of colours and a great homepage where you can arrange the colours next to each other to see which ones fits together. It is really a great feature!

For this sweater I ordered:

1418 Straw (main colour)
1703 Mimosa (contrast)
9426 Golden Heather (contrast)
0051 White (yoke background colour)

This yarn is not the recommended, but I found that it worked out really nicely. Be sure to make a swatch too see if you need to adjust your needle size.

Pattern
The pattern is worked from the middle of the sweater. This was a first for me. After having knitted the sweater I can say it is not my preferred method. I got frustrated when I had to unravel the temporary cast on border (a few rows knitted with a different colour) and then make sure all stitches was lying at the correct direction.

Vintersol body without arms

But I guess this is just a thing that you might like or not. The pattern itself was easy to follow. For the edge at the neck I didn’t quite understand the i-cord instructions, so I made the i-cord bind off the way I have learned from before.

I made some adjustments to the sizing for myself which made me have to unravel parts of the sweater. I’m not sure if it was my changes (did I choose a size too small?) or if it was the pattern itself. I found that the added stitches underneath the armpit were too few and I couldn’t fit my arms into it. I had to add stitches myself and I think I added in total 12 stitches underneath each armpit.

I knit loosely and so I used my measuring tape a lot to make sure the body got the correct length. It is always good to measure the body of the sweater and not just looking blindly at the number of rows you are supposed to knit. I knitted way less rows than recommended, because my stitches are quite “long” and I reached the desired length quite fast. I barely had time to make a waist shaping before I had to increase again for my hips.

 

Finished piece

I am in love with this finished sweater. I love how the colour combination turned out and the soft feel of the yarn.

I soaked the sweater in water and laid it out flat to dry. This really helped with all the unevenness I had in the yoke after knitting. Knitting with three colours was a hassle, but it turns out so nice!